Family

Family

Sunday, November 29, 2009

Florence Marie Jex Bowen 1909-2009

On Wednesday, November 18, 2009 my great Grandma Bowen passed peacefully into paradise. I had promised myself I would make her funeral no matter what and so we did. Spencer and I had Mom Bagshaw pick up the kids and we left Friday morning for a loooong drive to California to celebrate this great woman's life. My greatest memory of Grandma is her New Year's Eve parties. She really knew how to have fun and I remember us going out on her front porch and banging pots and pans with wooden spoons and she would yell "Louder girls LOUDER!" I also loved her smile. I don't know but when she smiled at you, you just knew you were special. I learned so much about her at her funeral too and for that I am especially grateful. I think I always knew that she was a hard worker but that was what she was remembered for the most, she never stopped serving, she never stopped loving and when she could help no more she went home....
No matter what... FAMILY is the most important thing. "Family There is Nothing Greater" It was really funny at the funeral because people would walk up to me and point and say "David's daughter right?" Yep that is me. One other person walked up to me and said, "I don't know what your name is but I know that you look exactly like your mom." Yep that is me, no matter if we were at Bowen or Sellers gatherings everyone says I look just like my mom. I am excited, I am going to look GOOD!!!!


Grandma's funeral was Saturday and the burial was Monday. I forgot the camera at the funeral but remembered for the burial.


Not all the pallbearers from the funeral were able to come to the cemetery so we got some stand-in pallbearers. They were her two sons Dean and Grandpa, her grandsons Jimmy, Junior and my uncle Chris and Spencer (cause they wouldn't let me:))





This is my Grandpa Bowen's mother. It was so sweet to see how much he loved her.



All the family at the burial and grave dedication. We had a mini (well it was over an hour) testimony or rather memory sharing time and anyone could share. This gave me the most closure and brought happiness in her passing.




My Grandma and Grandpa Bowen and I with Great Grandma one more time.

Next we went to her famous farm. My dad remembers the farm and always talks about this pool. Well it was filled in so I am "swimming" in the infamous pool. See Dad, one more swim!!

One of the things I learned at the funeral was everyone talked about Grandma's famous pomegranate jelly. I guess it was a big hit. Well when we were at the farm my Aunt Debra asked if we could take some and they said sure. It will always be a special memory to me...picking pomegranates with Grandma and Grandpa Bowen after Grandma's burial. It was just one of those special moments that you never forget. It was like Grandma was right there with us ready to pick more and make some jelly.

I LOVE this picture! I will always treasure this trip, it was worth the drive and all other sacrifices!!!

4 comments:

brittna said...

sad i couldn't come...but thanks for the pictures! the other night at work i just sat for like an hour and wrote down memories that i had of grandma...haha - so many good ones! i love her so much, and can't wait to see her again in heaven :)

The Ross Family said...

Sorry about your Great Grandma! I'm glad you were able to make it out there.

Tabitha said...

We miss you guys TONS too! Sorry about your great grandma, but I guess at 100 it's not exactly unexpected. So glad that you were able to make it to the funeral--it looks like you had a truly memerable time. Hope everything is going grand. All our love:)

Shelly said...

Brandee, you are a sweetie. It was so nice of you and Spencer to make the long drive to CA for Grandma Bowen. She was an amazing woman and a lovely grandmother. I still have pomegranates-yummm! :)